Friday, May 23, 2008

159 Days Left!

Besties's second essay
(Tolerance)

The cube-like enclosure was flled with the cacophony of paper rustlings and a series ofinaudible cries of resentment from the candidates caged within it. It was the ffinal year exam for all the third year students in Milestone Junior High.

Beads of swear slithered down my forehead, drinpping streadily onto the set of Chemistry papers right before me. I was stumped as I turned over the cover. I stared blankly at the paper which glowed in the reflection of the light. I could not recall a single thing that I had studied, much less able to apply the concepts learnt to the questions.

As i scanned through the quiet hall, hoping to find solace from the display of similar frustration and anxiety on the other candidate's faces, what caught my eyes was invigilator.

She was a frail lady with a hunched back and appeared to be moving with difficulty as she did her rounds. Her sunken cheeks, mapped with wrinkles, were pallid, and her pale pink lips were silent in the stride as she breathed heavily. She was making an arduous attempt to the teacher;s desk which stood a few metres away. As soon as she reached her desired spot, she showed signs of contentment and comfort, and gradually fwll deep asleep upon the soothing whir of the ceiling fan.

An idea struck me like a flash of lighting. Ir was the only alternative left for me to survive this grueling exam.

Silently, I shifted my chair slightly to one side and stole a surreptitious glance at the answer sheet of my friend, Shanyce, who was seated on my right. I had onlu intended to take one glance. The first attempt was successful and Shanyce was kind enough to preten oblivion. However, I could not resist the temptation.It was after the fifth or sixth glance, appalled by my presistent attempts to cheat, Shanyce's tolerance reached its limit. She called out to the drowsy examinar, and reported this dishonest act I had shamelessly done.

Angered by Shanyce's reactin, I defended myself and accused her vehemently, insisting that she was the one who had cheated instead.

The examiner, infuritaed by the whole event, reported us to the principal. In the end, both of us were banned from sitting for the rest of the examinations.

Neddless to say, Shanyce was contorted with rage and gury as she walked out from the principal's office. If she had been more tolerant, I thought such a misfortune would not hav ensued and an unjust punishment would not have meted out against her.

No comments: