Saturday, May 24, 2008

159 Days Left!

Bestie No.2 's essay
(Parents)
I felt a sense of lethargy sweeping through my body, weighing me down as i opened the door that would lead me to misery. There he was again, waiting for me in the dark hall while puffing heavily. Columns of smoke engulfed me as I entered the hall. With a wild shriek of rage, fury flared in his eyes. His mouth was drawn into a stern, straight line.

I saw the blur a split second before i feel his hand colliding with my face. A moment later, warm blood seeped from my nose. When i regained conscious, I found myself locked up again. There was nothing forgiving about the room I was in. The grey concrete walls were decorated with nothing but cracks, and the room window grills reminded me of prison bars. I wondered what terrible crime I had committed to. Father had become abusive since the death of my mother. It had been years but he just could not get over it and would drink himself drunk to numb his pains. HE smoked intensively and turned violent very frequently.

Father was haggard. His unshaved beard made him look worst and he did not bother to look for a job.
Thus, I had to work part-time and night shift while attending school in the day. I kept it from him as i did not want to add to his burden. However, things did not go smoothly as he soon noticed that I was returning home late almost everyday. While he questioned me when i reached home, things would end in a very abrupt manner. He would get very frustrated and become his usual self- violent.

I could hear a swishing sound. I braced my arms, for the impact. A jolting thud struck the side of my neck. My knees buckled as I turned inside the doorway and lean against my father's body while begging for mercy. All my pleas for forgiveness fell upon deaf ears. Accusations were thrown at me like knives slicing through my heart. He was no longer the understanding and loving father. A screamed in pain as his large knuckles descended cripplingly on my head and his thick belt, which was ripped form his waist, lashed violently at my legs.

Then, I was locked up again. Rage slowly built inside my soul. I clenched my hands together and began taking frustrations out on the floor. I could no longer tolerate him. I wanted to be free. However, just as i was drifting off to sleep, I could hear the floorboards strain upstairs from my Father's weight. His gagging cough followed a moment later. I could almost visualize him bending over as he nearly coughed up his lungs from the years of heavy smoking and his destructive lifestyle. The darkness of my sleep quickly fades away and a demonic impulse took over.

The next moment, all I know was that my father was bleeding as i held tightly onto a broken bear bottle, with blood dripping from the edges. A cold fear crept inside my soul. That was the time to flee. To leave all the pain and sufferings. I was on my way to freedom, at last.

No comments: